Magayon Launch

 Launching Magayon II

Read more ...

Tiki21 in Bohol

During my recent trip to Bohol in May 2011 I came accross a locally build Tiki23 in Tagbilaran, Bohol.

There is a small marina with space for 6-10 boats in Tagbilaran. The marina manager said that the floating pier already withstood a major Typhoon and that there are plans to expand the pier. Marina fee is 300 Pesos per day with discounts available for longer stays. Next to two sailing yachts I saw a Tiki23 without mast.

 

The Tiki belongs to LiteSail and is used to tour tourists around Bohol, even with motor only or if neccessary the mast could be fitted. It was built in Bohol.

 

 

 

Building our Optimist

We have previously built a boat in the Philippines, the Norwalk Island Sharpie 23 "Magayon". It was mostly built by a local carpenter and the quality was pretty miserable.  After shipping it to Indonesia and sailing it for some time it fell to pieces. After returning to the Philippines decided to build an optimist because the kids start to enjoy sailing and we wanted to try out better boatbuilding practices.

     
 No, of course not this one  Yes, this is the one  And this is how she looks like, when she was
finished

 


The Master Builder's Log

I started this log to keep track of the cost and labor requirement and some thoughts I have during the building process.

 22.9.2007   When transfering all the measurements from the plans to the plywood boards and trying to maximise the utilisation of the board Miriam said: "Now I see what all this math I learned in school can be used for." Maybe they should make boatbuilding part of the curriculum in schools. 
6.10.2007 Saturday, I worked for 4 hours on the boat, finishing fitting the stringers and working on the centerboard casing and the mast foot. I also bought new wood (replacement for the stringer that broke). In the evening in the pool while I was doing my laps I reflected on the day and why I felt so satisfied with it. It is so different working on something that takes shape in front of your eyes than sitting in front of the computer the hole day.
.... (Many logs missing)
10.3.2008

We now consider the little boat finished. The kids still need to agree on a name and one fiberglass coating on the bottom will still be applied but on principle she is ready to sail. We had launched in Taal and little improvements will be made piece by piece.

Building took 100 hours of Martin and and estimated 10 hours of the kids. The total cost was 660 US$ and 772 US$ for the whole project including some tools we did not have and had to buy.


Kata's Log

 


Miriam's Log

 


Building

 

IMG_8176

There is a lot of initial work where you don't see the boat taking shape or making progress. Buying wood, building the frame that holds the bulkheads in place until the hull is self supporting.

A solid frame is important. We bolted it to the concrete ground with 8mm screws, just to make sure. I hope our Landlord, IRRI, will forgive us the 6 holes I had to drill in the pavement:-)

When transfering all the measurements from the plans to the plywood boards and trying to maximise the utilisation of the board Miriam said: "Now I see what all this math I learned in school can be used for." Maybe they should make boatbuilding part of the curriculum in schools.

IMG_8090 

IMG_8087

27. September 07: Buidling frame

 

 

The fun begins

On 28 September the fun began. The actual work on the boat started and Miriam and Kata got really excited and helped a lot.

 

Miriam builds Opti

28 September

Img_8107

28 September

Kata building Lemony

28 September

IMG_8116

29 September: Daddy had forgotten to drill the Limber holes in the center bulkhead

IMG_8138

29 September: Fitting the Keelson

Lemony Upside Down

29 September: 'Hey look, the Opti is actually upside down!'

 IMG_8145

29 September: At least 4 hours until the Epoxy is dry.

IMG_8148

30 September: Fixing the bottom stringers needed some innovative clamping.

IMG_8147

30 September: Keelson and two bottom stringers.

 

 The first problem: Wood quality

 
IMG_8153

4 October: That was a lot more work than it looks like.

 IMG_8154

4 October: Don't forget the daggerboard opening in the keelson!

IMG_8158 

4 October

Fitting the bottom stringers at both sides was the most difficult job so far.  The wood we bought at the local wood shop in Los Banos in the Philippines is just too poor quality. Lots of cracks and bends, it is hard to find a straight piece.

One stringer broke right away when we tried to bend it in shape. We then wetted the wood and then bent it in shape slowly over several hours using ropes that we tightened slowly while keeping the wood moist. It did work at the end.

 

 
IMG_8176 20 October Fitting and glueing the plywood boards on starboard and port took significant time on two weekend days. We had to buy additonal clamps first after we already had depleted the stock of the local hardware store. Still we did not have enough and therefore we cut around 40 'Krampen' out of the 1/4 inch plywood board. They worked very well for fixing the boards until the epoxy had hardened. 
   
   
   
   
   

 

 

 

 


Completion 

Lemony sailed well but the bamboo spars were too flexible. It was difficult to rig the sail properly. We bought a proper mast, boom and sprit during our trip to Germany in 2010.
 

The first overhaul of Lemony in 2012

The epoxy layer at the inside was too thin, in summer 2012 it got a new layer and the aft bottom a layer of fiberglass.

Boatbuilding

This section contains some pictures and information about the boats we built. Click on the sub-menus for details.

Martin's 2010 New Year Resolution!

Arrive at Pandan Island on our own sailing yacht in December 2010 for the next New Year Party.

Crew wanted. Boat builders too.

Read more ...

Go to top